The Centre for Business Ethics and Corporate Governance established in the year 2005 is a significant Centre of Excellence created by LIBA to align with its core mission – “in pursuit of Excellence and Ethics”. This Centre is recognised as a National Centre for Corporate Governance by Government of India.
The core aim of the center is to propagate business ethics and internationally accepted corporate governance practices for the benefit of students and managers through activities such as events, programmes, publications and industry consulting.
- To raise awareness on ethical issues through conferences, seminars and panel discussions.
- To enrich ethical knowledge and societal obligations through publications.
- To inspire socially responsible leadership. The Mother Teresa Award for corporate citizenship – an annual award given to socially responsible companies.
- To promote principle based corporate governance.
BUSINESS ETHICS CONFERENCE (BEACON)
Loyola Institute of Business Administration (LIBA) has been organizing various programmes and activities to promote business ethics and good corporate governance among its stakeholders, particularly the students. Some of the events include :
LIBA has been organizing various programs and activities to promote business ethics and good corporate governance among its stakeholders, particularly the students. One such program is the annual Business Ethics Conference (BEACON) which we have been organizing since 2007.
From 2007, BEACON has been deliberating on various issues including inclusive growth and sustainability in all spheres of management. The topics focused on at Beacon include –
|Sustainable Business Practices for a Better Tomorrow.|
|Leadership and Ethics for the New India.|
|Leadership and Ethics for the Emerging Future.|
|Ethical Challenges in Financial Management.|
|Ethical Challenges in Marketing – The Power and Responsibility Equilibrium”. (Ninth edition)
Social Entrepreneurship – A Calling. (Eighth edition)
|Accountability and Responsibility.|
|Eco-Innovation: Time to Wake Up!|
BEACON – 2011
|Social Innovation: A Catalyst for Inclusive Growth.|
BEACON – 2010
|Soaring Through Sustainability.|
BEACON – 2009
|Surfing the Slump.|
BEACON – 2008
|India at 60: Inclusive Growth – The Challenge of the New Era.|
BEACON – 2007
|To Illumine, To Imbibe, To Inspire Business with Integrity.|
In view of a turbulent year that was engulfed in a few high-profile board room battles, the Centre felt that it was important to educate the management students of LIBA to understand the role of independent directors in corporate governance. A Panel Discussion was organised on 15th March 2016 on the topic, “Role of Independent Directors in Corporate Governance”. The panelists, Mr. K. Ravi, a prominent advocate and Company Secretary; Mr. Krish Ramesh, Corporate Lawyer and Company Secretary and Ms. Deepa Baburaj, General Consul – India and Asia Pacific, CTS gave a broader perspective on the topic with examples, which were real-life and easily relatable for the students.
The Centre also contributes to building academic knowledge in the field of Business Ethics and Corporate Governance. The faculty members associated with the center have published three textbooks and several research articles in International peer-reviewed journals on topics like ethical decision making, moral disengagement, ethical ambiguity and ethical supply chain management that includes:
|Business Ethics: An Indian Perspective by Prof. A.C Fernando|
|Corporate Governance: Principles, Policies and Practices by Prof A.C Fernando|
|Business Ethics And Corporate Governance by Prof. A.C Fernando|
|Madhuri Malhotra (2016) “Linkages among corporate governance, intellectual capital efficiency and firm performance: an Empirical Analysis from Emerging Market”, International conference on financial markets and corporate finance (ICFMCF 2016), held in the Department of Management Studies, IIT Madras, Chennai during 12-13 August, 2016.|
|Madhuri Malhotra (2016) Corporate Governance, Business Ethics and corporate Sustainability: An Overview”, 16th International Conference on Business, Economics, Social Science & Humanities- BESSH-2016” 20-21 August, 2016 Hong-Kong, paper accepted.|
|Shanthi Venkatesh (2017), “Ethical Leadership for efficient Corporate Governance – BRICS perspective (Accepted for Presentation), International Conference on Empowerment through Education, Ethics & Entrepreneurship – Agenda for BRICS, Organised by Mandsaur University in partnership with UNESCO Chair, February 2017.|
MOTHER TERESA AWARD
The Mother Teresa Award for Corporate Citizen, instituted in 1998 by LIBA, is presented every year to a Company that shows exemplary commitment to the ideals of corporate citizenship. The objective of the Award, is to showcase a corporate which has gone far beyond its call of duty to promote welfare activities for the benefit of the poor and marginalized sections of society and is environmentally conscious. The Award is given every year to a successful listed company of India for its contribution to CSR.
The objective of the Award is to honour a successful, profit making listed company that excels in its duty to all its stakeholders, via, value addition to the shareholders, commitment to quality, customer satisfaction, harmonious industrial relations, welfare of workers and gender equity.
Over the years, the Award has won huge reputation and recognition in the corporate circle and every year, many companies compete for this Award. The companies go through a rigorous selection process and a Jury constituted for the purpose select the best company based on the pre-determined set of parameters. The students of LIBA also actively participate in the pre-selection process – they do a background study to cross check the information provided by the companies and also to gather additional published information about them.
The esteemed Members of the Jury for selecting the Awardee are the following:
- N. Vittal, IAS (Retd.), Former CVC, Chairperson, MTA Jury
- T.S. Krishnamurthy, IRS (Retd.)
- R. Ramaraj, Senior Advisor – Elevar Equity
- A.X. Alexander, IPS (Retd.)
- C. K. Ranganathan, Chairman and Managing Director, CavinKare
- K. Venugopal, Director, Kasturi & Sons Limited
- S. P. Kandasamy, Krishnamurti Foundation India
- M. Mahadevan, Chairman, Oriental Cuisines Pvt Ltd
- Jayshree Suresh, Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship, LIBA
PAST RECIPIENTS OF THE MOTHER TERESA AWARD
PAST RECIPIENTS OF THE MOTHER TERESA AWARD FOR CORPORATE CITIZEN
|Recipient of the Award||
|2015||Infosys Limited||Shri. M.M. Rajendran IAS, Former Governor Of Orissa|
Listed Category: Mahindra & Mahindra Limited Unlisted Category: Serum Institute of India Limited
Spirit of Mother Teresa Award : Mr. Azim Premji, Chairman, Wipro Limited
Best NGO : The Akshaya Patra Foundation
His Excellency, Konijeti Rosaiah, Governor of Tamil Nadu
|2013||ACC Limited – Madukkarai Cement Works||Dr.V. Shanta, Chairman & Executive Chairman, Cancer Institute (WIA), Chennai
Guest of Honour: Shri. Narayanan Vaghul, Former Non-Executive Chairman, ICICI Bank
|2012||Shree Cement Ltd – Winner of Mother Teresa Award
Polaris Financial Technology Ltd – Winner of Special Award
|Shri. Gopalkrishna Gandhi, IAS (retd), Chairman, Kalakshetra Foundation, Chairman of Governing Body of Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla and President of its Society|
|2011||Tata Chemicals Ltd – Winner of Mother Teresa Award
Sobha Developers Ltd – Winner of Special Award
|Shri. N Gopalaswami, Former Chief Election Commissioner, Govt of India|
|2008||Chennai Petroleum Corporation Limited (CPCL)||Prof C.K.Prahalad, Paul and Ruth McCracken Distinguished University Professor of Corporate Strategy, Stephen M. Ross School of Business, University of Michigan, USA|
|Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, Former President of India|
|2005||Tata Steel Ltd||His Excellency Shri. Surjit Singh Barnala, Former Governor of Tamil Nadu|
|2004||TVS Motors Company||Shri. M. Damodaran, Chairman, Securities and Exchange Board of India|
|2003||Polaris Software Ltd||
Shri. P. Shankar, IAS, Chief Vigilance Commissioner, Govt. of India
|2002||Shriram Investments Ltd||Prof. M.S. Swaminathan F.R.S, Chairman, M.S.Swaminathan Research Foundation, Chennai|
|2001||Indian Oil Corporation ||Shri. N. Rangachary, Chairman, Insurance Regulatory & Development Authority|
|2000||Orchids Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Ltd||Shri. Murasoli Maran, Minister of Commerce, Govt. of India|
|1999||TamilNadu News Print and Papers Limited (TNPL)||Shri. Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Member, Planning Commission, Govt. of India|
|1998||Titan Industries Ltd||Shri. Ramakrishna Hegde, Minister of Commerce, Govt. of
We were honoured to have as our Chief Guests :
- M.M. Rajendran IAS, Former Governor Of Orissa
- His Excellency, Konijeti Rosaiah, Governor of Tamil Nadu
- V. Shanta, Chairman & Executive Chairman, Cancer Institute (WIA), Chennai
- Narayanan Vaghul, Former Non-Executive Chairman, ICICI Bank
- Gopalkrishna Gandhi, IAS (retd), Chairman, Kalakshetra Foundation, Chairman of Governing Body of Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla and President of its Society.
- N Gopalaswami, Former Chief Election Commissioner, Govt of India
- C.K.Prahalad,Paul and Ruth McCracken Distinguished University Professor of Corporate Strategy, Stephen M. Ross School of Business, University of Michigan, USA
- A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, Former President of India
- His Excellency Surjit Singh Barnala, Former Governor of Tamil Nadu
- M. Damodaran, Chairman, Securities and Exchange Board of India
- P. Shankar, IAS, Chief Vigilance Commissioner, Govt. of India
- M.S. Swaminathan F.R.S, Chairman, M.S.Swaminathan Research Foundation, Chennai
- N. Rangachary, Chairman, Insurance Regulatory & Development Authority
- Murasoli Maran, Minister of Commerce, Govt. of India
- Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Member, Planning Commission, Govt. of India
- Ramakrishna Hegde, Minister of Commerce, Govt. of
PAST CHAIRPERSONS OF THE CENTRE
- Prof. A.C Fernando, Professor of Economics and Chair – Centre for Business Ethics and Corporate Governance from its inception in the year 2005 to 2011
- Dr. Priya Rajeev, Associate Professor OB & HR and Chair – Centre for Business Ethics and Corporate Governance – 2011 to 2013
Dr. V. Shanthi, Associate Professor – Marketing and Chair – Centre for Ethics and Corporate Governance at LIBA from 2013 to 2019.
- Dr. Agna Fernandez – Chair, Centre for Ethics & Corporate Governance
- Dr. P.C. Lakshmi Narayanan, Member – Faculty Advisory Committee
- Dr. Madhuri Malhotra, Member – Faculty Advisory Committee
- Ms. Christine Fernando, Event Coordinator
CURRENT CHAIRPERSON OF THE CENTRE
CHAIR PERSON / CONTACT