The Center for Business Ethics and Corporate Governance established in the year 2005 is a significant Center of Excellence created by LIBA to align with its core mission – “in pursuit of Excellence and Ethics”.
The core aim of the center is to propagate business ethics and internationally accepted corporate governance practices for the benefit of students and managers through activities such as events, programmes, publications and industry consulting.
- To raise awareness on ethical issues through conferences, seminars and panel discussions.
- To enrich ethical knowledge and societal obligations through publications.
- To inspire socially responsible leadership. The Mother Teresa Award for corporate citizenship – an annual award given to socially responsible companies is aimed at inspiring socially responsible leadership.
- To promote principle based corporate governance.
Loyola Institute of Business Administration (LIBA) has been organizing various programs and activities to promote business ethics and good corporate governance among its stakeholders, particularly the students.
Business Ethics Conference (BEACON)
LIBA has been organizing various programs and activities to promote business ethics and good corporate governance among its stakeholders, particularly the students. One such program is the annual Business Ethics Conference (BEACON) which we have been organizing since 2007.
From 2007, BEACON has been deliberating on various issues including inclusive growth and sustainability in all spheres of management. The topics focused on at Beacon include –
BEACON 2016 the eleventh edition of LIBA’S – Business Ethics Conference focused on the Theme – Leadership and Ethics for the Emerging Future.
BEACON – 2015, the Tenth edition focused on the theme – Ethical Challenges in Financial Management.
BEACON 2014 – the Ninth edition, deliberated on the theme Ethical Challenges in Marketing – The Power and Responsibility Equilibrium”.
The Eighth edition of Beacon focused on Social Entrepreneurship – A Calling.
Beacon 2013 – Accountability and Responsibility.
Beacon 2012 – Eco-Innovation: Time to Wake Up!
Beacon 2011 – Social Innovation: A Catalyst for Inclusive Growth.
Beacon 2010 – Soaring Through Sustainability.
Beacon 2009 – Surfing the Slump.
Beacon 2008 – India at 60: Inclusive Growth – The Challenge of the New Era.
Beacon 2007 – To Illumine, To Imbibe, To Inspire Business with Integrity.
BEACON 2016 focused on “Leadership and Ethics for the Emerging Future”. The theme of the conference, was chosen consciously, to explore the latest thinking amongst HR leaders in shaping People practices and Ethics centered Leadership for the future.
HR leaders, who journeyed towards good governance and ethics of a high order in their quest for fairness, equity and dignity at the workplace, were invited to share, debate and present their perspectives and challenges on significant themes of Leadership and Ethics both as practices at the work place and in developing Leaders for the future.
Padma Bhushan Dr. Mrityunjay Athreya, Ph.D. (Harvard) and Mr. K Pandiarajan, Honorable Minister, Government of Tamil Nadu were the guests for Inaugural and Valedictory events respectively.
The sub-themes discussed across two panels were HR and ETHICS and LEADERSHIP AND ETHICS forenoon and afternoon
The eminent speakers were:
- Mr. Sujith Kumar
- HR Business Leader, Infosys Ltd &
- Honorary President, NHRDN, Chennai Chapter
- Mr. Judhajit Das
- Chief – Human Resources
- ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Ltd
- Mr. Prabhakar Lingareddy
- Vice President – Human Resources (Agri-business Division)
- ITC – Agri Foods
- Ms. Gangapriya Chakraverti
- Director – Human Resources
- Ford Motor Company-Global Business Services
- Mr. S. Venkatesh
- President-Group HR & Management Board Member, RPG
- Ms. Uma Rao
- Vice President -Human Resources
- Ashok Leyland Ltd
- Mr. Shyam C Raman
- Executive Vice President – Group HR
- Murugappa Group
THE MOTHER TERESA AWARD FOR CORPORATE CITIZENS
EVENTS AND CONFERENCES
The Mother Teresa Award for Corporate Citizens, instituted in 1998, is presented every year to a company that has shown exemplary commitment to the ideals of corporate citizenship.
ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS ETHICS CONFERENCE
BEACON 2014 Social Entrepreneurship: A Calling
The eighth edition of LIBA’s Business Ethics Conference “BEACON 2014” will focus on Social Entrepreneurship – A Calling, with concentration on BECOMING A SOCIAL ENTREPRENEUR – The Motivation and BEING A SOCIAL ENTREPRENEUR – The Experience. The main objective of this year’s edition is to motivate our students and many young minds from across the country to identify the spirit of social entrepreneurship as a satisfying experience. ITC Grand Chola, Chennai.
- Marakkula Centre for Applied Ethics – Santa Clara University USA
- Centre for Business and Economics – Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
- Centre for International Business Ethics (CIBE) – Beijing, China, hosted by the University of International Business and Economics (UIBE).
- Universita Cattolica Del Sacro Cuore (UCDSC) – Milan, Italy
- Catholic University – Peru
Three textbooks and several research articles have been published by the Centre that includes:
- Business Ethics: An Indian Perspective by Prof. A.C Fernando
- Corporate Governance: Principles, Policies and Practices by Prof A.C Fernando
- Business Ethics And Corporate Governance by Prof. A.C Fernando
Several papers have been published in International peer-reviewed journals on topics like ethical decision making, moral disengagement and ethical ambiguity. The Centre is now working on research paper on Ethical Supply Chain Management.