LIBA RADIUS – Radiate Empower Transform
Radius is the social service initiative managed by the students at LIBA which aims at bringing about a positive change in the society by leveraging management skills and techniques imbibed at the institution. It conducts several programmes throughout the year for the upliftment of the downtrodden people.
The dictionary definition of Radius is ray of light and it is this “Ray of hope/light” we seek to bring into the life of people.
Following are few of the events that were conducted by the Radius Team in 2010-11.
- The Joy of Giving
- Stop Hunger – Hunger Free Day
- Women Empowerment and Cycling Awareness
- Give Blood Give Life
- Eureka Run for Children
- Christmas celebration
- Launching of Art Aids
- Teaching programme
Details of the Events Conducted
Joy of Giving week
- Joy of Giving Week is celebrated every year. This year it was celebrated from 2 October to 9 October 2011, in a grand manner. Each day of the week someone was made happy. The following events took place during Joy of Giving week.
- Many Children’s homes were visited by the team.
- Kids from the underprivileged section visited LIBA campus. They had a fun time dancing, singing and playing. Various games were conducted for them and a nice dinner was served to them. They were provided with a month’s supply of Essential items.
- Organ Donation awareness was created throughout the “Joy of Giving Week” and many pledged to give their organs after their demise.
- Clothes are collected twice in a year and in case of emergencies. The clothes are given either to Goonj.com or given to the needy people.
- Various Badges symbolising the “Joy of Giving Week” were sold and the funds collected were given to children’s Home. More than 200 badges were sold.
- Photographic contest was organized throughout the “Joy of Giving week” to create awareness about the week. The theme of the contest was “Spreading the Joy”. A good number of entries was received.
Joy of Giving Festival ‘11
The “JOY OF GIVING” is a festival, which aims at spreading a priceless smile on the innocent faces of unprivileged kids. This event was held on 16 October 2011, here in the children were invited to LIBA and exposed to college atmosphere.
- 200+ kids spent an entire day in LIBA campus.
- Motivational talks, games, fun based learning activities were conducted.
- Cultural event for them in the evening (Other colleges and professional Team performed).
- Stationeries, Note Books were given to the children.
Hunger Free Day
- The main aim of the event(sponsored by Hunger Free India Foundation ) is to eradicate hunger throughout India.
- Visited CMS Children’s Home on 10 October 2011 interacted with the children, served lunch and distributed Uniforms to them.
- Donated a Grinder to a Children’s Home.
Women Empowerment and Cycling awareness
- Conducted the “Women Empowerment and Cycling Awareness Workshop” for Women SHGs in collaboration with TI Cycles
- Conduct Blood Donation Drives at least twice a year.
- Conducted a blood donation drive in August 2011and March 2012, with the help of Lion’s Club where by around 75 units of blood was collected.
Eureka Run for Children
On 12 November 2011 – Run of 5km in Marina Beach to support Children’s Education.1500+ participants. Helped AID INDIA in organizing the entire event
- ‘Eureka Run’ is an annual marathon conducted to raise funds to support children’s education in 500 ‘Eureka Superkidz’ village education centres.
- AID-INDIA is a social initiative by IIT and BITS alumni founded with a mission to provide quality education to every poor child in India.
- LIBA celebrates Christmas in a special way.
- Kids were brought to LIBA campus from Children’s Home on that day.
- Dinner was provided to all the children and everyone present there.
- Donations were given to Theadal Home, Bala Gurukulam children’s Home highlighting the concept of sharing.
- On 22 December 2011, visited Avvai Illam, spent time with the children,sang Christmas Carols and distributed Gifts to them.
- The Radius team helped People Aids Initiative, a NGO which takes care of children infected with HIV/AIDS to Organize “art aids” on 4 December 2011.
- art aids… is a limited edition series collection of museum quality art pieces that provoke thought and dialogue. The works have been gathered through generous support of artists who have offered them freely as part of their contribution towards funds raised for the shelter of HIV/AIDS affected and infected children.
- This event was an initiative of people AIDS Initiative that runs 9 homes with 1000 HIV infected kids.
- Every Sunday visit Chennapuri Ananda Samajham, a children’s home at R.A.Puram to teach students.
- English and basic Math is taught to high school students.
- Planning to come up with motivational and counseling programmes.
Methods of Raising Funds for the Initiatives of RADIUS
- Funds are raised by selling LIBA Badges around 200 badges were sold last year.
- Alumni contributes towards the initiatives of Radius
- Through Food Stalls and Games stalls held through the year.
- Received a sponsor from Aachi Masala.