Alagu Perumal Ramasamy
Associate Professor – International Business & Chairperson – International Programme
QUALIFICATION & SPECIALIZATION : M.Sc., PGDM, Ph.D. (Taiwan) International Business
EXPERIENCE IN YEARS TEACHING/PRACTICE/INDUSTRY/RESEARCH : 08 years of teaching / 02 years of industry / 16 years of research
Dr. Alaguperumal has a doctorate in International Relations. He has published several articles in professional journals and has attended many national and international conferences. His primary research interests are global food security, India-China comparative studies, East Asia Affairs and international relations. He is the founder of IIIBFT, an NGO that promotes food security. He currently teaches International Business, Mandarin and related courses.
Dr. Alagu Perumal Ramasamy holds a Ph.D. from the Department of Diplomacy, National Chengchi University, Taipei, Taiwan. His Ph. D. Dissertation was on “State and Information Technology Development in India and China – A Comparative Study”. He has a rich experience teaching Graduate/ Post Graduate students on International Relations, International Political Economy and International Business. At LIBA he teaches International Business and Mandarin.
He has several research articles and conference publications to his credit. His current research interests are Food Security, India – China Issues and East Asian Affairs.He has a rich experience of Chinese culture and is proficient in Chinese language. He has recently obtained a certification in Mandarin (HSK Intermediate) from the Chinese Testing International, Beijing, People’s Republic of China.
He visited Taiwan R.O.C., as part of the delegation of 2013 Taiwan Study Camp for Future Leaders from South Asia, Dec. 16 – Dec. 23, 2013.He was invited by the Government of the People’s Republic of China to attend the 2014 Seminar on Chinese Translation for BRICS Countries”, October 26th to December 20th 2014.
- “Land Acquisition as a Factor Affecting State – Society Relations in India and China: Its Implications for Economic Development”, KPR International Journal of Management, Vol 1 (01 – 11), July 2012, ISSN 2278-6104.
- “Long Term Stability of Business Environments in India and China – Why India is a Better Choice? Impact on Long Term Business Environment due to Land Appropriations by the State, the Social Unrests that follow them and the Differential Resolution Mechanisms Available from the Respective States”, Shabdasmi – An international journal of management, Vol II (01 – 04), June 2012, ISSN 2249-0051.
- “Indo-International Initiative for Billions of Fruit Trees”, published in India’s National Security: Concerns and Strategies, Ed. By Mohanan Pillai, New Century Book House, 2013. ISBN: 9788177083569.
“Dealing with IT Capability Deficit in India,” Management Matters, Loyola Institute of Business Administration, 2008, Vol. 11 (48 -79).
- “Understanding China from its proposals for reforming the WTO Dispute Settlement System,” Management Matters, Loyola Institute of Business Administration. 2007, Vol.10, (34 – 68).
- “The AXE Effect: NAFTA and the Canada – U.S. Lumber Dispute,” Taiwanese Journal of WTO Studies, Center for WTO Studies, 2006, Vol. 8(63 – 109).
- “A Comparative Study on the Competitiveness of Micro, Small, Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and their influence on the Development Trajectories of China and India”, presented at 7th All India Conference of China Studies, organized at Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, held between 14th and 16th November 2014.
- “A Comparative study of India and China’s Approaches to Regional Economic Integration and their impact for WTO” presented at International Conference on Intercultural Communication, Asian Economic integration and Regional Order, organized by NCCU, Taipei, Republic of China, 18.3.2014.
- “Why is Food Insecurity an Imminent Threat to Peace is Asia and How are India and China Addressing the Issue”, presented at 6th All India Conference of China Studies, organized at Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode, Kerala, between 12-14.12.2013.
- “Indo-International Initiative for Billions of Fruit Trees (IIIBFT): a sustainable initiative for promoting global food secure future”, presented in National Biodiversity Congress 2012, Thiruvananthapuram, on 27-29.12.2012.
- “Rural Dalit Women Entrepreneurship in India – A field study in Madhya Pradesh and Tamil Nadu” presented in the National Conference on Globalization and Women Empowerment organized by Institute of Public Enterprise, Hyderabad on 15-16.3.2012.
- “Indo – International Initiative for Billions of Fruit Trees (IIIBFT): A Sustainable Initiative for Promoting Food Secure Future to Strengthen Human Security in India – China Relations” presented in the National Conference on India’s Security Policy: Shifting Paradigms & Emerging Frontiers of Cooperation organized by Department of Politics and International Studies, Pondicherry University on 26 – 27.3.2012.
- “Rural Dalit Women Entrepreneurship in Tamil Nadu – A case Study” presented in the National Conference on Inclusive Growth in Transitional Society: Issues and Challenges organized by Department of Sociology, Gandhi Gram Rural University, Dindigul on 12-13.3.2012.
- “A Conceptual Model for Rural Dalit Women Entrepreneurship – Framework for inclusive growth” presented in National Seminar on Rural Poverty and Social Exclusion: Need for paradigm shift towards and Inclusive Society organised by Centre for Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy, Gandhi Gram Rural University, Dindigul on 16-17.2. 2012.
- “Business Environment in India and China – Why India is a Better Choice? Case analysis of land appropriations, the social unrests following them, the responses from the respective States and their impact on Long Term Business Environment” presented in Prabandhan 2012 organized by Lokmanya Tilak Institute of Management Studies & Research, Nagpur University on 27.1.2012.
- “FDI Trends in India and China – A Comparative Study” presented in the National Conference on the Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Indian Economy, Loyola College, Chennai, 10 – 11 February 2010.
- “Corporate Governance in India and China – A Comparative Study” presented in the International Conference on Making Corporate Governance Work, Loyola College, Chennai, August 2009.
- “Australia India Relations under Kevin Rudd,” joint paper presented in the Workshop on Australia under Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, National Chengchi University, June 2008.
- “Understanding China from its proposals for reforming the WTO Dispute Settlement System,” Joint Paper presented in the conference The Legal Dimensions of Doha Round, University of Hong Kong, 17 December, 2005.
- “China and WTO: An Analysis of China’s Strategy towards WTO Dispute Settlement System,” presented in the Graduate Conference of Diplomacy Students organized by the Department of Diplomacy, National Chengchi University, 18 May 2005.
- “India – Australia Relations in the Post Cold War Era,” presented in the conference on Strengthening Australia-East Asia Relations: implications for Taiwan, 9 December 2005.
- “Can the WTO accept the proposals made by China for modification and improvement of the DSU? – An Analysis,” presented in the International Conference on WTO, FTA and RTAs, National Chengchi University, 22 April 2005.
- “The Depleted Uranium and the War on Terrorism,” presented in Graduate Conference of Diplomacy Students organized by the Department of Diplomacy, National Chengchi University, 28 May 2004.
- “NAFTA and the Canada – U.S. Lumber Dispute,” presented in the International Conference on Canada’s Relations with China and Taiwan under the WTO framework, National Chengchi University, 12 December 2003.
Food Security Concerns in India and China: A Study of the Evolving Issues Affecting Agriculture in the Early 21st Century”, presented at the 8th All India Conference of China Studies, organized at Sikkim University, Gangtok, held between 5th and 7th November 2015.
- Food Security
- India China Comparative Studies
- East Asia
- Food and Agriculture
- Energy and Environment
- Founder of Indo – International Initiative for Billions of Fruit Trees (IIIBFT)