Dr. Alagu Perumal Ramasamy
Associate Professor – International Business
QUALIFICATION & SPECIALIZATION : M.Sc., PGDM, Ph.D. (Taiwan) International Business
EXPERIENCE IN YEARS TEACHING/PRACTICE/INDUSTRY/RESEARCH : 08 years of teaching / 02 years of industry / 16 years of research
Dr. Alaguperumal has a doctorate in International Relations from NCCU, Taiwan. He has published several articles in professional journals and has attended many national and international conferences. His research interests are Food, Agriculture, Energy, Environment, India – China Issues, East Asia Affairs, Foreign Policy, International Relations and Ethics. He is the founder of IIIBFT, a NGO that promotes food security. He currently teaches International Business, Mandarin and related courses.
Dr. Alagu Perumal Ramasamy holds a Ph.D. from the Department of Diplomacy, National Chengchi University, Taipei, Taiwan. His Ph.D. Dissertation was on “State and Information Technology Development in India and China – A Comparative Study”. He has a rich experience teaching Graduate/ Post Graduate students on International Relations, International Political Economy and International Business. At LIBA he teaches International Business, Mandarin and related courses.
He has several research articles and conference publications to his credit. His research interests are Food, Agriculture, Energy, Environment, India – China Issues, East Asia Affairs, Foreign Policy, International Relations and Ethics. He has a rich experience of Chinese culture and is proficient in Chinese language. He has recently obtained a certification in Mandarin (HSK Intermediate) from the Chinese Testing International, Beijing, People’s Republic of China.
He visited Taiwan R.O.C., as part of the delegation of 2013 Taiwan Study Camp for Future Leaders from South Asia, Dec. 16 – Dec. 23, 2013. He was invited by the Government of the People’s Republic of China to attend the 2014 Seminar on Chinese Translation for BRICS Countries”, October 26th to December 20th 2014. He is a recipient of Taiwan Research Fellowship 2019.
- Wen-Chi Yang, Wen-Min Lu, Alagu Perumal Ramasamy, “International Environmental Efficiency Trends and Impact of the Paris Agreement,” Energies, 2021, 14(15), 4503; https://doi.org/10.3390/en14154503
- Alagu Perumal Ramasamy, Indira Ananth and Wen-Chi Yang, “A Proenvironmental value construct to deal with plastic pollution”, International Journal of Social Ecology and Sustainable Development, Vol. 13, 2021 (Accepted for publication. Forthcoming)
- Alagu Perumal Ramasamy and Indira Ananth, “India and China in the WTO Agricultural Negotiations: Stakes Amidst Crisis, published in Tailspin: The Politics of India-China Economic Relations, Ed. Aravind Yelery and Mrudul Nile, Knowledge World Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, (2020)
- Alagu Perumal Ramasamy and Indira Ananth, “The Dynamics of Establishing and Sustaining a Social Responsibility Initiative in a Management Institute – Experiences of Indo-International Initiative for Billions of Fruit Trees (IIIBFT) in LIBA, Chennai,” published in Inner Compass, issue 3, 2018, https://www.ignited.global/publications/inner-compass-magazine.
- Alagu Perumal Ramasamy and Indira Ananth, “Marketing an Idea for Facilitating Urban Food and Environment Security – Experiences of IIIBFT, A Chennai based NGO, in Promoting Societal Participation for Sustainable Development”, published in proceeding of the conference Global Summit on Management Cases, February 10-11, 2017 as well as Economic Times Management Cases series http://www.etcases.com/partner-cases/iim-raipur.html.
- Alagu Perumal Ramasamy, “Indo-International Initiative for Billions of Fruit Trees”, published in India’s National Security: Concerns and Strategies, Ed. By Mohanan Pillai, New Century Book House, 2013. ISBN: 9788177083569.
- Alagu Perumal Ramasamy, Maria Joseph Christie, Irudaya Veni Mary, “Understanding the Business Environment for Entrepreneurship Development among Rural Dalit Women in Tamil Nadu,” publication in Shabdasmi – An International Journal of Management in June 2013 issue, ISSN 2249-0051.
- Alagu Perumal Ramasamy and T. A. Varghese, “Land Acquisition as a Factor Affecting State – Society Relations in India and China: Its Implications for Economic Development”, KPR International Journal of Management, Vol 1 (01 – 11), July 2012, ISSN 2278-6104.
- Alagu Perumal Ramasamy and T. A. Varghese, “Long Term Stability of Business Environments in India and China – Why India is a Better Choice? Impact on Long Term Business Environment due to Land Appropriations by the State, the Social Unrests the follow them and the Differential Resolution Mechanisms Available from the Respective States”, Shabdasmi – An international journal of management, Vol II (01 – 04), June 2012, ISSN 2249-0051.
- Alagu Perumal Ramasamy, “Dealing with IT Capability Deficit in India,” Management Matters, Vol. 11 (48 -79), 2008.
- Alagu Perumal Ramasamy, “Understanding China from its proposals for reforming the WTO Dispute Settlement Understanding,” Management Matters, Vol.10, (34 – 68), 2007.
- Alagu Perumal Ramasamy, “The AXE Effect: NAFTA and the Canada – U.S. Lumber Dispute,” Taiwanese Journal of WTO Studies, Center for WTO Studies, Vol. 8(63 – 109), 2006.
- “Transformation of Chinese Agricultural Sector from peasants to modern corporates” presented at the International Conference – Know Thy Neighbor – Growth of India and China: Socio Cultural Percepts and Propositions, organised by C3S and Department of Political Science, Justice Basheer Ahmed Sayeed College for Women (Autonomous), Chennai, February 9th, 2019.
- “Sustainable Development and Climate Change Response by India: A Case Study of Technology and Innovation Promotion in Plastic Pollution Management”, Hanoi Forum 2018, November 8th to 10, 2018.
- “ Cross Straits Relations Today – Challenges to IR theory”, research paper presented at Trends & Transformations in China’s Geo-politics, Strategy, Society and Business, organized by Chennai Centre for China Studies (C3S), Chennai, June 8 and 9th, 2018.
- “Sustenance of a Green Initiative through Societal Participation – Enabling and Disabling Factors” presented in ICSEDE 2018, Assumption University, Thailand, May 25, 2018. Received the Best Paper Award.
- “Xi Tibet Policy”, a research paper presented in the Tibet: A Global Common or a Bone of Contention – A Conference in Dharamsala, 24th October 2017.
- “The Education Systems of India and China: Encouragement or Inhibition of Creativity”, presented at Creative Palette: Comparison of India and China, 15 – July – 2017.
- “Food Safety in China and India: A comparative Analysis of Nestle and Sanlu milk scandal”, presented in Chinese Economy Trends and Prospects, 3 – March – 2017.
- “Marketing an Idea for Facilitating Urban Food and Environment Security – Experiences of IIIBFT, A Chennai based NGO, in Promoting Societal Participation for Sustainable Development”, presented in Global Summit on Management Cases, February 10-11, 2017.
- “Chinese learning opportunities in India”, at the Forum on Teaching Chinese for Specific Purposes in Thailand, organized by Panyapiwat Institute of Management, Bangkok, Thailand on November 28, 2016.
- “State Guided Markets: An Analysis of the roles of the States in China and India in the Development of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs)”, joint paper with Prathyusha Ratan Lella, IIT Kharagpur, presented at 9th All India Conference of China Studies, organized by the Institute of Chinese Studies at the University of Mumbai, December 10 to 12, 2016.
- “Negotiations on Agriculture in the WTO: An Analysis of the Concerns of China and India and their Implications on Bilateral Economic Relations”, presented at 9th All India Conference of China Studies, organized by the Institute of Chinese Studies at the University of Mumbai, December 10 to 12, 2016.
- “Food security concerns in India and China: A study of the evolving issues affecting agriculture in the early 21st century.”, presented at 8th All India Conference of China Studies, organized by the Institute of Chinese Studies at the University of Sikkim, between 5-7.11.2015.
- “A Comparative Study on the Competitiveness of Micro, Small, Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and their Influence on the Development Trajectories of China and India”, presented it in the 7th All India Conference of China Studies held in Banaras Hindu university, Varanasi, held between 14th and 16th November 2014.
- “A Comparative study of India and China’s Approaches to Regional Economic Integration and their impact for WTO” presented at International Conference on Intercultural Communication, Asian Economic integration and Regional Order, organized by NCCU, Taipei, Republic of China, 18.3.2014.
- “Why is Food Insecurity an Imminent Threat to Peace is Asia and How are India and China Addressing the Issue”, presented at 6th All India Conference of China Studies, organized at Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode, Kerala, between 12-14.12.2013.
- “Indo-International Initiative for Billions of Fruit Trees (IIIBFT): A sustainable initiative for promoting global food secure future”, presented in National Biodiversity Congress 2012, Thiruvananthapuram, on 27-29.12.2012.
- “Rural Dalit Women Entrepreneurship in India – A field study in Madhya Pradesh and Tamil Nadu” presented in National Conference on Globalization and Women Empowerment organized by Institute of Public Enterprise, Hyderabad on 15-16.3.2012.
- “Indo – International Initiative for Billions of Fruit Trees (IIIBFT): A Sustainable Initiative for Promoting Food Secure Future to Strengthen Human” presented in the National Conference on India’s Security Policy: Shifting Paradigms & Emerging Frontiers of Cooperation organized by Department of Politics and International Studies, Pondicherry University on 26 – 27.3.2012.
- “Rural Dalit Women Entrepreneurship in Tamil Nadu – A case Study” presented in the National Conference on Inclusive Growth in Transitional Society: Issues and Challenges organized by Department of Sociology, Gandhi Gram Rural University, Dindigul on 12-13.3.2012.
- “A Conceptual Model for Rural Dalit Women Entrepreneurship – Framework for inclusive growth” presented in National Seminar on Rural Poverty and Social Exclusion: Need for paradigm shift towards and Inclusive Society organized by Centre for Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy, Gandhi Gram Rural University, Dindigul on 16-17.2. 2012.
- “Business Environment in India and China – Why India is a Better Choice? Case analysis of land appropriations, the social unrests following them, the responses from the respective States and their impact on Long Term Business Environment” presented in Prabandhan 2012 organized by Lokmanya Tilak Institute of Management Studies & Research, Nagpur University on 27.1.2012.
- “FDI Trends in India and China – A Comparative Study” presented in the National Conference on the Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Indian Economy, Loyola College, Chennai, 10 – 11 February 2010.
- “Corporate Governance in India and China – A Comparative Study” presented in the International Conference on Making Corporate Governance Work, Loyola College, Chennai, August 2009.
- “Australia India Relations under Kevin Rudd,” joint paper presented in the Workshop on Australia under Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, National Chengchi University, June 2008.
- “China and the WTO Dispute Settlement System”, presented in the conference “China & Europe – From Distant Neighbors to Ever Closer Community?,” organized by ShARE-China at Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, People’s Republic of China, 16 – 17 December 2005.
- “Understanding China from its proposals for reforming the WTO Dispute Settlement System,” Joint Paper presented in the conference The Legal Dimensions of Doha Round, University of Hong Kong, 17 December, 2005.
- “China and WTO: An Analysis of China’s Strategy towards WTO Dispute Settlement System,” presented in the Graduate Conference of Diplomacy Students organized by the Department of Diplomacy, National Chengchi University, Taipei, Taiwan, 18 May 2005.
- “India – Australia Relations in the Post-Cold War Era,” presented in the International Conference on Strengthening Australia-East Asia Relations: implications for R.O.C, Taipei, Taiwan 9 December 2005.
- “Can the WTO accept the proposals made by China for modification and improvement of the DSU? – An Analysis,” presented in the International Conference on WTO, FTA and RTAs, National Chengchi University, Taipei, Taiwan, 22 April 2005.
- “Creating Security through Economic Interdependence: Taiwan and WTO,” presented in the International Conference on WTO, FTA and Australia – East Asian Relations, National Chengchi University, Taipei, 03 December 2004.
- “The Depleted Uranium and the War on Terrorism,” presented in Graduate Conference of Diplomacy Students organized by the Department of Diplomacy, National Chengchi University, 28 May 2004.
- “NAFTA and the Canada – U.S. Lumber Dispute,” presented in the International Conference on Canada’s Relations with China and Taiwan under the WTO framework, National Chengchi University, 12 December 2003.
- India – China Issues
- East Asia Affairs
- Foreign Policy
- International Relations
- Food and Agriculture
- Energy and Environment
- Founder of Indo – International Initiative for Billions of Fruit Trees (IIIBFT)