Rev. Fr. C. Joe Arun, SJ
1999-2003: D. Phil (PhD) (Anthropology) from Oxford University, United Kingdom
2010-2012: MBA – (Master of Business Administration – Marketing), IIBM, New Delhi, India
1992-1994: M.A (Anthropology) from University of Madras, Chennai, India
1982-1985: B.A (Economics) from St. Joseph’s College, Trichy, India
2015: Analysing Global Trends for Business and Society from University of Pennsylvania (Coursera)
2016: Introduction to Marketing from University of Pennsylvania (Coursera)
2016: Strategic Leadership and Management from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Coursera)
D.Phil (PhD) Dissertation: ‘Conflict Management and Identity Construction’
PROFESSIONAL LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE:
- Built-up an Institute that researched into issues of conflict in religions and cultures, and evolved conflict resolutions. Now it is a research institute affiliated to Madras University and in it, many PhD research scholars writing their theses. It is: Institute of Dialogue with Cultures and Religions (IDCR).
- As Director of International Programme of Loyola College, Chennai signed many international tie-ups and global interface, running few successful programmes in collaboration with Lille University, France, Fu Jen University, Taiwan and South Bank University, UK.
- Played a key role in founding an Engineering College by negotiating with a French group, ICAM. This has evolved an Indo-French model of educational leadership. Now the college is successfully run by Loyola College, Loyola-ICAM College of Engineering and Technology (LICET).
- As Secretary & Correspondent of Loyola College, Chennai, led 300-plus faculty and 230-plus non-teaching staff in 32 departments and 15 institutes to optimum level of performance; restructured its financial system, reorganised human resources, enhanced the infrastructure and brought all the activities under ERP system; Wrote the Master Plan for Loyola College envisioning a future for Loyola College.
- Built-up a Business School in Palayamkottai, South Tamil Nadu, called Xavier Institute of Business Administration (XIBA) and served as its Director for two years.
- Restructured curriculum and infused academic rigour and evolved innovative academic ecosystem in Goa Institute of Management (GIM), Goa, India, as its Director.
- Evolved a new and innovative Teaching-Learning-Evaluation system based on Oxford and Finland model of education in St.Joseph’s Institute of Management (JIM), Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India as its Director.
- Founding member of a group called, Knowledge Xchange, it remains a platform for exchanging ideas and strategies on education. Played a key role in organising conferences and colloquium on education and the ways it is provided in India and beyond.
- Worked as Strategic Consultant to Indev Logistics to evolve strategies for training competent people to handle CFS in India and abroad.
- Worked as CEO for SCAD group of institutions in Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu to expand its investment in educational institutions and develop a professional system of administration.
- Working as Expert Advisor to CARE Group of Institutions, Tiruchirapalli, in rebranding and reorganising the institutions.
- Developing strategy for restructuring organisations/companies and turning around institutions
- Designing Mission Statements for Corporate and working out Strategies for realizing the same.
- Serving as a Corporate Consultant in the areas of Organizational Behaviour, Planning, Risktaking, Goal setting, Goal Striving and Goal Research Skills
- Conducting consumer researches to understand buying patterns and orientations and to assist in the process of starting businesses and reviewing existing enterprises
- Designing product development for startups and entrepreneurs
- Branding and rebranding organisations and companies
- Doing Organisational Development Process (ODP) to identify deficiency areas for low-level performance and reorganise organisational structures
- Conducting performance appraisal for organisations to increase the level of performance and increase productivity
- Serving as a resource person in the field of Leadership Dynamics, Marketing Power of Emotions and Crisis and Stress Management for Corporate, Business Schools and Higher Educational Institutions in Tamil Nadu.
- Mapping Competencies of employees in institutions and evolve ways of building competencies for specific jobs
- Assisting NGOs in their programmes of empowerment by conducting evaluation and assessment: Measuring Empowerment
- Motivating and Training Personnel by planning, preparing & presenting Packaged Programs on Source and Power and management of Emotions, Setting and Reaching Goals, and managing Crisis Situations.
- Preparing the dynamics, exercises, questionnaires, and assignments for various Organizations for Planning, Evaluation and Revamping.
- Assisting & counselling Personnel in various aspects of their career path.
- Coordinating for keeping up to date with Market, Social and Cultural changes and Concomitant Personality changes.
- Meeting with Corporate Team or Heads of Educational Institution to help implement a special Corporate or educational program.
- Facilitating Personnel on Emotional Intelligence (EQ), Social Intelligence (SQ) and Spiritual Intelligence.
- Providing Orientation Programs for the Teachers, Professors, Administrators and Students.
- Four-year doctoral study at Oxford University, United Kingdom and continued research and teaching in Oxford from 2005 until 2012
- Two-year post-doctoral studies in Loyola University and University of Chicago, USA
- Extensively travelled to major cities of France, such as Toulouse, Lille, Vannes, and Nante to study engineering education of Icam Groupe of schools of engineering and humanity studies
- Taught three years as Audi Professor of Cross Cultural Management in Ingolstadt School of Management, Germany
- Visited Fu Jen University, in Taipei, Taiwan for faculty exchange and taught Consumer Behaviour for students of textile technology
- Visited Universidad del Pacifico in Lima City, Peru, South America for a Marketing conference and gave key-note addresses on consumer behaviour in emerging markets
- Visited more than twice Brussels-Belgium, Geneva-Switzerland, Melbourne-Australia, Bilbao-Spain, and Rome-Italy for conferences on leadership, consumer behaviour, strategy and marketing
EXPOSURE TO GLOBAL CONTEXTS:
- Travelled to UK, Germany, Belgium, France, USA, Peru, Taiwan and Sri Lanka to attend conferences and meetings
- Taught culture and communication at the Department of Visual Communication for two years, Loyola College, Chennai India
- Taught for three years foundation courses at Loyola College, Chennai, India
- Taught (teaching) Consumer Behaviour, Social Entrepreneurship and Cross-cultural Management in Loyola Institute of Business Administration (LIBA), Chennai, India
- Taught perspectives in Social Sciences, and Indian Culture in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras for two years.
- Taught Consumer Behaviour in ISEG School of Management at Lille Catholic University, France
- Taught a course on cross-cultural business enterprises at Angers University, France
- Taught on Consumer Behaviour and Cross-cultural Management at Ingolstadt School of Management, Germany as Professor of Cross cultural Management in Audi plant
- Taught a course on Cross-cultural Marketing at the Department of Textile and Fashion Technology in Fujen University, Taipei, Taiwan
- Taught Consumer Behaviour in XLRI, India.
- Taught (teaching) for four years Consumer Behaviour at Rajagiri Business School, Cochin
- Taught Consumer Behaviour and Cross-cultural Management at XIMR, St Xavier’s College, Mumbai
RESEARCH INTERESTS :
- MANAGEMENT, LEADERSHIP, STRATEGY, CULTURE AND COMMUNICATION,
- Cultures of Consumption
- Consumer Behaviour
- Cross-cultural Management
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Contemporary Debates on Poverty in India
- Media Management
- Emotions and Consumer Behaviour
- Leadership Styles
- Competence Mapping and Competence Building
- Conflict Resolutions and Conflict Management
- Organisational Behaviour
- Globalisation and Empowerment of the Subalterns
- Myths and Symbols in Cultures
- Working as a PhD guide at the University of Madras, Chennai through Institute of Dialogue with Cultures and Religions (IDCR), guiding eight research scholars who write theses on Culture and Management.
- 1992 – 1994 : Research Assistant, Measuring Empowerment by Community Development Projects, Project by World Bank
- 1993 – 1994 : Individual research on Religion and Rituals of Kannikkars of Tirunelveli district in Tamil Nadu, India
- 2000 – 2002 : Research Co-ordinator, Micro Trends among the youth, a project for Aylesbury Parish Council, UK
- 2004 – 2007 : Research Co-ordinator, Conflict between religious communities in Coimbatore city in India, a project by IDCR, Loyola College, Chennai, funded by MISSIO Aachen, Germany.
- 2005-2006 : Research Analyst, Voting Patterns in Assembly Elections in Tamil Nadu, funded by Goodwill Communications, Chennai
- 2007 – 2009 : Research Co-ordinator, Caste violence in Tamil Nadu, India, by IDCR, Loyola College, Chennai, India, funded by Missio, Aachen, Germany. Studied caste conflicts in India to show how caste factors stand in the ways of economic development of people; Researched on the factors contributed to bomb blasts in Coimbatore city in Tamil Nadu and how the inter-religious conflicts could be solved
- 2008 – 2009 : Research Coordinator, Consumer Culture: A Study of Mall culture in Chennai city, IIT-Madras, Humanity and Social Sciences
- 2009 – 2011 : Regional Research Co-ordinator, Role of Religion in Development by School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
- 2008 – 2010 : Principal Investigator, in India, Consumer Cultures of India: Study of Buying Behaviour of India. JASOS, Oxford, UK
- 2010 – 2012 : As a Principal Investigator, studied the blocks that prevent Dalits from achieving development. This was funded by the European Council of Social Research (ESRC).
- 2011 – 2012 : Studied the Buying Behaviour in Malls in Chennai city to find out the role of culture in the decision-making process, as part of consumer behaviour research
- 2010 : Studied the motivational factors for changing food habits of Indians from Indian foods grounded in culture to foods from the West to map the changing patterns of behaviour due to consumer behaviour
- 2011 : Studied on how symbols and myths contribute to the production of corporate culture, a case of Tata group
- 2012 – 2014 : Led a team of researchers who investigated 32 small time entrepreneurs in Tirunelveli district (titled as Rustic Entrepreneurs) to find out the context-specific entrepreneurial skills of people who have run businesses successfully for the last fifty years.
- Personality Development, Ways of discovering Self, IDCR Publications, 2005
- Religions: An Introduction, IDCR Publications, 2005
- Constructing Dalit Identity, Rawat Publications, 2006
- Interculturation of Religion, ATC Publications, 2007
- Rustic Entrepreneurs, Lulu Publishers, 2017
- Consumer Culture: Perspectives and Trends in India (in press)
- Business Moves: Eight Energies of Leadership Competence (in press)
- Theories of Social Change (forthcoming)
- Tools of Socio-cultural Analysis (forthcoming)
ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS :
2017: Cultural Matrix for Organisational Change: A Conceptual Outlook. In International Journal of Multidisciplinary Educational Research, Vol 6, Issue 11 (4), November 2017
2016: Fields of Consumption in AE International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research. Vol 4. Issue 10, October 2016.
2016: A Case for Society-ready Graduates in Management Education in JIM Journal of Management (forthcoming)
2016: More on System, Less on Substance: A Critique of Draft Policy on Education in India 2016. In Building Just, Inclusive and Secular India. Draft New Education Policy. Issues and Implications. Chennai, India: HEC.
2014: Consumed Culture and Cultured Consumption: The Diderot Effect on Consumers in XIBA Business Review, Volume 1, Issue 1, pp.35-39.
2014: Cultural Profile of Entrepreneurship: A Critical Perspective in Entrepreneurship & Socio-Economic Development. (ISBN: 978-81-928901-0-4), pp. 37-43.
2009: Postmodern God in VJTR, Vol. 73, No.8. August 2009.
2009: Emotional Intelligence and Formation of Personality in Jnanodaya, Journal of Philosophy. Issue No.16, June 2009.
2008: Conflict as Source of Identity Making in Journal of Culture and Religion. Vol.3 No.1,pp.7-33.
2007: Introduction: Revisiting de Nobili’s Mission to Tamil Nadu. In Interculturation of Religion. Critical Perspectives on Robert de Nobili’s Mission in India. Bangalore: ATC, Publications. pp.1-18.
2007: Religion as Culture: Anthropological Critique of de Nobili’s Approach to Religion and Culture in Interculturation of Religion. Critical Perspectives on Robert de Nobili’s Mission in India. Bangalore: ATC, Publications. pp.19-41.
2007: Parai: From stigma to self-assertion. Paraiyars and the symbolism of the parai drum. Contributions to Indian Sociology, Vol. 41, No. 1, 81-104.
2007: Death of Representation: A Post-modern Challenge in VJTR April 2007, Vol 71, No 4. pp. 262-270.
2006: Mediat-ed Culture in Culture & Communications, Indian Media Research Journal, April 2006, No. 15 Vol.4
2006: ‘Eliyavarin Thagam’ (Poor Peoples’ Thirst for Liberation) in Dinamani daily
2006: Therthale oru Poraaga’ (Election as War) in Silambam, (June 2006)
2006: Dignifying Communications for Enhancing Humanity in Culture & Communications, August 2006, No. 16, Vol..5.
2006: Cultural Communication and De-ethicising Identity in Culture & Communication, November, No. 17, Vol 05.
2006: ‘aha alagum muga alagum’ (internal and external beauty) in Munnetrathin Mugavari (book) 2005, Vaigairai Publishers.
2005: karka kasadara’ (learn faultlessly) in Dinamani daily
2005: ‘Ithuvum thiruvilaiyadal’ (this too divine play) in Dinamani daily
2004: ‘The Other as Alien’: Myths in Identity Making. In Vidyjyoti, April 2004, pp.277-294..
2003: Anthropology of Conflict, Review Article. In Journal of Anthropology Society of Oxford. Vol 4, Issue 11, 2003
2002: Taming the Global Demagogue: A Spirituality for Globalisation in Vidyajyoti, Part I in June 2002 issue and part II in July 2002 issue.
2002: Global Culture versus Local Culture: A Cultural Perspective of Globalisation in Leonard Fernando (ed.) 2002. Seeking New Horizons. Delhi: ISPCK, pp.243-258.
2002: Historiography and Ethnography. In Felix Wilfred & Jose D. Maliekal (ed.) 2002. The Struggle for the Past Historiography Today. Chennai: Department of Christian Studies, University of Madras.
2002: Ethnographic Construction of Historiography: A Case Study of Dalits in Kanchipuram district, South India in Jeevadhara, January 2002, pp. 45-59.
CURRENT ACADEMIC POSITIONS :
- Director, Loyola Institute of Business Administration (LIBA), Chennai
- Research Director, Institute of Dialogue with Cultures and Religions (IDCR), Loyola College Campus, Chennai, India
- Adjunct Faculty, Rajagiri School of Business, (RBS), Cochin
Formerly held academic positions:
- Director, St. Joseph Institute of Management (JIM), St.Joseph’s College, Trichy, India.
- Director, Goa Institute of Management (GIM), Goa, India
- Director, Xavier Institute of Business Administration (XIBA), St.Xavier’s College, Palayamkottai, India
- Deputy Director, Loyola-Icam College of Engineering and Technology (LICET), Chennai, India
- Lecturer, Department of Visual Communication, Loyola College, Chennai, India
- Dean, School of Excellence & Foundation Courses, Loyola College, Chennai, India
Formerly held administrative positions:
- Secretary & Correspondent, Loyola College, Chennai, India
- Dean of External Affairs & Development, Loyola College, Chennai, India
- Director, Loyola Development Office, Loyola College, Chennai
- Director, Centre for International Programme, Loyola College, Chennai, India
- Executive Director, Institute of Dialogue with Cultures and Religions (IDCR), Loyola College, Chennai, India.
- Deputy Director, Loyola-ICAM College of Engineering and Technology (LICET), Chennai, India
- Director, Culture and Communication, Loyola College, Chennai
TEACHING POSITIONS :
- Visiting Faculty at XLRI Business School, Jamshedpur, India (Consumer Behaviour)
- Visiting Faculty, Chennai Business School, Chennai, India (Consumer Behaviour)
- Visiting Faculty, IIT-Madras, Chennai, India (Perspectives in Social Sciences)
- Visiting Faculty at Jnana Deepa Vidya Peeth, Pune, India (Symbols and Religions, Postmodernism, Violence and Sacred)
- Visiting Faculty, IESEG School of Management, Lille, France (Cross-cultural Management)
- Visiting Faculty, Rajagiri School of Business, Cochin (Competence Mapping & Consumer Behaviour)
- Visiting Faculty, Audi Professor of Cross-cultural Management, at Ingolstadt School of Management, Ingolstadt, Germany (Cross-cultural Management)
- Associate Research Scholar at the Department of Anthropology, Oxford University, UK
- Gold Medal in M.A (Anthropology) for being a Rank holder
- Gold Medal in M.A (Anthropology) for being the best student of the year
- Research Fellow, ESRC, UK
- Adjunct Fellow, Loyola University, Chicago (2003)
- Overseas Fellowship, Campion Hall, Oxford University (199-2003)
- Research Associate, Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology,
Oxford University (2005)
- Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Religion & Culture in Asia (IRSA), Oxford, UK.
- Best Director Award, CSR, India 2017
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES :
- Member, European Association of Social Anthropologists (EASA)
- Member, The Board of Studies, Holy Cross College, Trichy
- Member, Anthropological Society of Oxford, UK
- Member, Knowledge Xchange Foundation, Chennai, India
- Member of Research Team, Goodwill Communications
- Member, Ethics Committee, ICMR, Medical Council of India
- Member, Board of Studies, Department of Anthropology, University of Madras
- Member, the Governing Board, LITES Institutions, Nagercoil, India
- Mentor, Syllabus Revision of Tamil Nadu Schools